Overview of Services for Faculty and Staff
Mission of Counseling Services
Assist students to achieve their personal, social, academic and career goals.
Help students understand and better manage their personal concerns and guide them making educational and vocational choices.
Provide psychological consultation and training to staff, faculty, and student leaders in topics related to leadership, communication skills, conflict management, etc.
The Counseling Services staff is a diverse, multidisciplinary and multicultural group of counseling and clinical pstchologists, doctoral level professional psychology students and undergraduate peers. Our Psychology Internship Training Program is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA, 1993) and the overall agency is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc. (IACS; 1996).
Services for Students
- Counseling services includes individual and group counseling as well as crisis intervention.
- Stress management services include relaxation rooms, self help materials, massage workshops and a Test Anxiety program.
Services for Faculty & Staff
- We are a student affairs department and as such are almost completely supported by student services fees. Therefore, students are our main service target. However, we do offer a few courtesy services for UCSB staff and faculty.
- Clinical Services. Faculty and staff are eligible for a one-session courtesy appointment in the event of a crisis, or to receive referrals to professional counselors in the community. As faculty and staff, you may also want to contact the Academic Staff Assistance Program (ASAP) within Human Resources at UCSB. Staff at ASAP provide UCSB staff and faculty confidential counseling, consultation, education and referral assistance to prevent, reduce, or resolve individual and organizational problems. For assistance or more information, call the ASAP Office at 893-3318 from 8a.m.-12 p.m., and 1-5 p.m. ASAP is located in the Student Affairs and Administrative Services Building (SAAB 3101; 3rd floor, north wing).
- Consultation Services. The staff at Counseling Services is available to UCSB faculty and staff to consult with you on a variety of issues from problematic students to interpersonal to organizational problems within your department. For consultation information call Jeanne Stanford at x4411.
How You Can Help Us To Serve Students
To make our services effective, we need the support and assistance of UCSB faculty and staff. Although a majority of students come to Counseling Services on their own, you may be the first to recognize that a student is in need of assistance; students may turn to you because of the respect they hold for your position as a faculty or staff member. At Counseling Services we find that students take your recommendations and referrals very seriously. If you would like to know more about our services, please feel free to contact us directly at 893-4411.